The new prescription drug packaging offered by Polpharma Group (including Polpharma, Medana and Polfa Warszawa) was created on the basis of interviews with patients and pharmacists, who have been consulted every step of the way. The change also forms part of a strategic process of unification of the Polpharma Group brand, which the company launched to consolidate its portfolio worldwide.
The main idea behind the new packaging design is to make it more functional. The design takes into account how the packaging is arranged on shelves and in drawers at the pharmacy, the specifics of pharmacists’ work, as well as the needs of elderly and visually-impaired patients.
Five features of the new packaging design that minimise the risk of drug dispensing errors at pharmacies and improve convenience for pharmacists:
- Dosage colour-coding reduces the risk of errors.
- Drug name and dosage information written in large print makes it easier to differentiate between drug names and dosage information.
- Drug name and dosage information featured on three sides of the packaging – as the space in pharmacy drawers is limited, the information is now visible regardless of how the packagings is arranged (horizontally, vertically or flat on the shelf).
- A drug use table offers space for the pharmacist or patient to note down when a particular drug should be taken.
- Colour-coding of particular therapeutic groups makes it easier to catalogue the drugs at the pharmacy.
For patient safety
- Colour-coding and clear font used for drug name and dosage information makes things easier for the elderly and visually-impaired.
- A drug use table (on the back) offers space to write down when the drug should be taken, which improves patient compliance.
- Key information (name, dosage, content) visible on three sides of the packaging makes it easier to find the drug in the medicine drawer at home.
Why the change?
Polpharma, as a socially responsible company, offers a rich drug portfolio but also respects its sustainable commitments which help patients and pharmacists manage the health of Polish residents. The new graphic design was developed to make the packaging more functional and safer for pharmacists and patients. It also form part of a process of unification of the entire Polpharma Group brand, which involves the company’s portfolio consolidation across its branches worldwide.
The new prescription drug packaging system offered by Polpharma has been praised by pharmacists as well-conceived, functional, clear and trustworthy. This December, Polpharma received an award for the Rx drug packaging rebranding project in the Launch/Rebranding of the Year category in the Marketing Directorof the Year 2018 competition. The Rx drug packaging rebranding project was also positively reviewed by the Polish Pharmaceutical Chamber and was welcomed by pharmacists themselves, who praised the well-conceived and functional design which will make their everyday work easier.